My family loves apple pie. I have been working to find a healthier version. I came across this recipe for a gourmet apple pie in my Grandmother’s recipe box and it sounded amazing. However…It was not a “skinny” version. I took the ingredients of my grammy’s apple pie and cleaned it up a bit. We gave it a shot and it was DELISH! I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did!
What you need
1 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 egg whites
1 tbsp. turbinado or coconut sugar
1 cup Oat Flour
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
4 tbsp. cup coconut oil, cold (optional, pure unsalted butter)
3 pounds Granny Smith or Golden Delicious Apples, or combination, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar, (optional other unrefined sugar)
2 tbsp. oat flour
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp. Pineapple juice
Pinch ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
Pinch Himalayan Salt
What you do
1. Make the crust by combining the wheat flour with the oat flour, sugar, and
salt in a large bowl.
2. Add the coconut oil or butter and work it through the flour mixture with
your hands until it is crumbly.
3. Slowly add eggs, (and a little ice water if needed) until you have a stiff dough.
Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, about 30 min.
4. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
5. Combine apples with the rest of the ingredients except for the egg. Stir until
well combined, and allow to sit for 15 minutes or so. Stir again.
6. Divide the pie crust in half and roll out one half, lightly flouring the dough and
work surface. Carefully lay the dough in your pie pan.
7. Add the apples slices to the crust, filling it well over the top, as the apples will
8. Roll out the remaining crust, and lay it over top the pie. Or, dough can be
cut into 1″ strips and crisscrossed over the pie filling. Seal the edges by
pinching and crimping together using either your fingers or a fork. Using a
pairing knife, slice several vents into the top crust.
9. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the dough with the beaten egg.
10. Place the pie on cookie sheet on the center oven rack, and bake for 45 min
to an hour. Check the pie every so often to make sure the crust is not too
If the pie crust is browning too quickly, loosely lay foil over the top for the remainder of baking time. The pie is done when the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.